Thursday, January 27, 2011

MY STORY

My story –I

I want to share my own story of childhood days , We were living in South India at that time . It was year 1965. I still remember that it is when I was about 4-5 yrs old like any other kid of his times. I was just playing in the street with my friends. There some senior kids were also playing . I heard some one in the group say –“Pakistan has attacked India” . They had probably heard some news in the radio. Then came the big things, kids were filled with patriotism and everyone wanted the opportunity to go to the battle field . They wanted opportunity to fight and defeat the enemy. They wanted to teach Pakistan forces a lesson for misadventure of invading Indian territories .Everyone were so much emotionally carried away that they had their own designs. One of them was so much excited and said , “If I get there I will kill 20 enemy soldiers with my gun”, he was carrying toy gun off course, his other friend just doubled the count to 40 . Yet another brave soul stood there and predicted the victory of our forces as he is going to take fighter plane to Pakistan and destroy the enemy by bombing the places. I wondered what is going on . what are these people saying. But the terms and rhetoric’s did change my innocent mind . I kept my fingers crossed. I was spellbound by the stories they were telling. It definitely moved my mind. Another one pulled out his toy sword and started brandishing it like a true soldier. The all conversation which was turning the children’s play into a Theater Play. The scene changed from soft to brave heroics, little kids gang was filled with a spirit of true nationalism etching to do the honours or die for the cause , they were looking like volcano about to bust.

I was a bit younger , but got excited by the hot arguments and burning desire of the little souls to avenge the misadventure of Pakistan. There was a strange feeling . Even though my father was in Indian Air Force. I did not remember whether my Father had discussed the matter of war with Pakistan . It could be possible that he might have discussed it with my mother. Then I was not at all concerned. At that time I knew not about India or Pakistan, what were they at to do. Actually, there were no such facilities of TV or magazines, which the present kids have access to. I frankly had a no idea what this thing war was. But,by the talks of the children in the street, I was fully charged with patriotism, bravery and unknown ideas , Fantasy of being a soldier in battle field armed to take on the enemy one on one. It was a natural thing for a kid of that age put in that situation.

As the fields conference of brave ‘ could be’ soldiers dispersed . Every one headed towards their homes. Those who just got the information were surprised and curious to get more information. I was one of them. I ran to my home and asked my mom to give me “milk” .Mother was very stunned . She asked me what has happened , are you Ok? Actually I usually disliked drinking milk. I said with a authority – “Don’t you know Pakistan has attacked India ?” “Then what are you to do?” said my mother . You are a kid its not a Child’s business. I again tried to put a brave front and said -Give me milk I will teach the enemy a lesson. I will fight for my country. Mother again insisted that do not worry India is a brave country,it will be able to defeat the enemy who tries to intrude.

Right now you need to first go to the school to study and grow-up then you may join the defense forces. I am proud that you are having such a strong feeling for your mother land. You must have this spirit towards your country. My mother then told me about India, the facts I did not knew earlier. I was then told about the British Imperialism , How India has earned its freedom. Mother told me that thousands of freedom fighters had laid down their lives to get Mother India free from foreign rule. It was during that time, I learned the names of Great personalities Mahatma Gandhi, Pt.Jawahar lal Nehru, Tilak, Rani Jhansi, Bhagat Singh , Neta ji Subhas Chander Bose , Kartar Singh Sarabha and many others who laid their lives for India.

I then onwards I developed a quest for more information about the new developments of the Indo-Pak war ,which my father used to share with my mother. Then it became a regular feature to update my self about India from all possible source my friends & parents. I really started to Love my country. I learned a lot while in school. This incident had a very deep impact on my mind which has in fact developed a never ending love towards my country and people. I salute the spirit of kids who had changed my thinking. I experienced the importance of the events that divert my attention and inculcate the new positive thought in my mind, also changed my attitude and behavior once for all. I wonder if the things had not had happened the way it did , that might have left me like any other children lost in the common street games fighting for candies and teasing the animals.

Thanks.

If you have some very different story to tell ,plz share it here. We will buildup a great collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment