Wednesday, March 7, 2012

THE HOLY COW


  My Story
 My Father had decided  to return to native place and start with the ancestral occupation of Agriculture.  Thus he put  in his papers  for Voluntary Retirement from Indian Air force  well before the family was settled ,as we brothers were still in school .This decision of his was far from digestible to any one in the family.  May be he was constantly under some pressure  or probably was victim of some injustice , which he did not share even with my mother and decided to hang his uniform. He had made up his mind to quit the Indian Air Force job and stuck to his guns. What I know that He was not interested to continue as he got a transfer orders to some place in the South western station and it was not a family station.  He got upset and in process  he had decided to put in his papers. As that was the crucial time  we children needed more financial allocations, being a time for college level studies. Every one in our family were very concerned about the future . But my father fought for his decision and had some valid reasons for his decision.
    We had some ancestral property at our native place in Distt. Hoshiarpur. in Punjab (India). He had planning to go all out for farming  . But things always do not happen as you desire. No doubt we had reasonably good land property , but it was a big problem for all of our family. We had been raised in cities like  Kanpur ,Bangalore, Agra and Srinagar ,and we had no idea what can be done with the land and farming in traditional methods was ‘Greek’ to us. As we never did think that we might have to work in the farms or manage the agricultural activities. It was  a totally new chapter in our life.
   It is not the fact, that we hated the farming any way, the real concern is  to do farming just as a casual time pass in  kitchen garden is one thing, but to do it  seriously  to for livelihood or as a profession is something all to gather different .  We had been doing the activities of kitchen garden in our backyards  any where we lived in the cities where we got proper accommodation. That was just a hobby. Here, it was to manage the whole thing in a big way that too with out proper inputs and know how. This was a biggest challenge for our family. To meet the raising expenditure within pension of father was a wrong preposition. Any way , I was ready to share the responsibility with my father, so was my elder brother and mother. My sister was still a kid and she was not supposed to do any of the sort.
We were intricately planning the things , we had discussions with some of our relatives who were already in the farming business. We could gather certain tips from here and there .We had no infrastructure  of our  own at all . We slowly made consistent efforts to raise some of the facilities. Though we had  a built house  and land in the village, but some infrastructure was urgently required to be created. My mother was very hard working  and resourceful . As some of our family friend suggested to first arrange  for some cattle and make good the  requirement of milk. Mother insisted to purchase one buffalo. That  was the first asset we planned to organise. Soon , we had it . The destiny  was waiting for the  day, I think it was waiting to happen and  things started  to happen as per the script of fate .The  agent ,who lived near our house in the village one day came to our house and he convinced my mother  to buy a buffalo, he used his tacts and my mother was trapped in his jugglery of words. He had painted a bright picture  before my mother, The buffalo was a good healthy and gives about 18 liters of milk daily .  Which you can  use as much as you can  and sell  the rest to generate income as well as feed and fodder for the cattle.
       However, my father was not yet convinced and we had not even fully decided about the new venture  As there was some wavering  thoughts, to do or not to do. As simply keeping  the cattle at home will not do , many other activities ,which are related to it  are to be taken care off  and we will have to do a lot of thinking and overwork,  which we haven’t have  even seen or done earlier in our lives.
  We had to make  some compulsory  arrangements for the cattle , arranging for fodder , containers for storing the milk , we usually keep the pot boilers  which are earthen pots we call them “ Kardhni” to keep the milk smearing , then the milk is made into  curd and  the next morning this curd is stirred  and churned  then  butter is extracted  from the butter milk . This butter milk is called ‘Lassi‘ in North India.  It is a very popular  and healthy drink in India.
     My mother was more than convinced and was rather excited and eager  to do something to sustain the family burden. She was mentally prepared for this ,as it was a opportunity  for her to help out the family in crisis. The agent  was also very proactive and smart he came in the early morning  the very next day  and knocked the door , my mother opened the door  he greeted my mother and showed the buffalo to her ,  which  he had   brought  along with him and  had tied it out in our court yard. He had also brought some fodder and put it in front of the buffalo  to keep it busy, otherwise the animal could get frightened and upset in the new environment.  He showed the buffalo to my mother and explained some merits and positive features. The animal was looking fresh as it had been bathed and her horns and hoofs  were well polished. Mother was quite impressed by the healthy and good looks of the animal, its nature was also very friendly.  The animal was feeling bit upset and uneasy, my mother when inquired about it ,the agent said it is feeling upset in new environment. More over it is time to milk it .
    He immediately asked my mother to bring jagary “GUR” and some  wheat flour for the cattle. Mother immediately brought some “Gur”  and flour “atta”  in a container. He then asked to bring a container to milk the cattle, My mother than brought  a container. He then asked to bring five rupees and some oil “ mustard”  which he took the oil and poured it at the place where he had tied the cattle and bowed down to thank the mother nature.
    This all activity was going on, when my father got out and inquired about the matter, the agent came to my father and congratulated him for the new cattle in the house.  My father was surprised, he said ,  “ You should  have at least consulted me , before bringing this animal to our house.  ?”   
 “ This is not fair”.
   Agent  said – “ Sardar ji ,don’t worry I have brought this  after careful investigation, believe me, You will remember me” .
 He said -“ I promise if you are not satisfied I will take the animal back, it is a grantee.”
My father said – “How will we know about the quality of the animal”
 The agent said  - “Sardarji  ,you just keep this for ten days ,I will take it back. You only pay me after ten days.”
 He was knowing that he will get it as he was living in the same village and was more interested in building relationship and confidence. Our grand father was ‘Nambardar’  - (Chief of the village)  , of the village  and was prominently known in the area. In our family the agent  was looking as a potential customer  of future. Of course he was dead sure that my mother was  interested  in starting the dairy business. This fact was a encouraging factor to play his dice. My father had nothing to say. The agent had made his mark.   He immediately took the container  from my mother and started to milk the cattle. After some time he handed the container to my mother she was surprised to see  about ten liters of milk.  He then advised to my mother to make Kheer of the first milk  and pray to God  and "Thank" the almighty . The kheer is prepared  by  putting some rice  and sugar in it,  it is then allowed to boil for some time , She  set aside some  part to give it at holy place as an offering to be made to God.
      My mother was so excited that she immediately arranged to prepare the’ Kheer’  . She prepared a ’Thali’  to give it to some holy man, who lived on  the out skirts of our village. She then did her prayers and  called us . When we got up and were surprised  to see this new development.  We were also excited at entry of  the new member in our house.  My mother was the happiest member in the family . We made rounds of the animal to see it we touched it and feel the friendly  attitude of the animal. The buffalo too was feeling good and soon acclimatized  herself. I then brought a bucket of water, she at once emptied  the   bucket, I brought another she consumed that too, I again brought third one she almost consumed it also and  left just some  water. I again brought another bucket and poured on her body ,the animal felt so passionate and soothing and nodded her head. I moved my hand on the back of the animal She looked  at me  as if acknowledging the gesture . It instantly created a bond with me. I was happy too.
 The next thing my father did was to fix  the responsibility of the agent himself, to assist in making suitable arrangement, Father asked him to arrange  to buy some stubble ( Turi)  and fodder for the time being till we could grow the fodder in our fields ,probably it required about two months to grow sufficient fodder.
  The agent then made arrangement for daily  cleaning of the area in court yard  by engaging a lady ,who will be doing all the household work to assist my mother, removing cow-dung and make dung cakes. The next day we purchased the Shredder  for fodder  and installed it  in one corner of the yard..It was a hand operated machine ,so  we  used to   do the shredding of the fodder. It was a good physical exercise and I was quite healthy  and able to do this type of physical chores.
      Though it is more or less  very hard work to do but  I was inspired by the others who were doing it. I never felt insulted or mean any way as I honored the principles of dignity of labor.   I was  bit adventurous and keen observer , I being a quick learner , learnt things very soon . Slowly I got well conversant to the rural ways.  The change was so quick that my parents were surprised . I used to tell them how the things are to be done. The relatives and friends were also amazed at my style of working, Even some of the villagers did not believe in me. They would say dear you have been very unlucky that you have been pushed to work like this. I used to laugh it out.  I had committed my self to do  and help my parents  bail out of the hard times.  I had curtailed all my unnecessary demands  just to contribute my share in managing the  Home affairs .  
       I chose to go to my school on bicycle  instead of Bus .My school was about 10 kms. I did not mind to join an Punjab School Education Board 's school  , affiliated Private public school ,instead of CBSE school ,where we brothers had our formal education   ( rather I had no other choice left ). I was admitted to  DAV high school . My brother was studying  in Professional college  and we had to manage that  first  . 
    Though, there was  quite a lot difference in medium of instruction as well as system.  It was definitely a setback to me but this was the destiny. I accepted it and did not grudge at all. My luck had failed to shine . The changed environment in the school did hamper my talent and aspirations a bit. I had now challenge to learn a new language Punjabi. To which I had not been exposed to.  Doesn’t matter here  from where I had done my matriculation and who had helped me in my  new school to get better of the problems.
            I was just narrating the situation  as how we  all became the victim of circumstance, though it all initiated  with the resignation of my father  from Indian Air Force .but it was all the handiwork of destiny, that we had to go through the squeeze. It is the fact unless you go through the worst situation you cannot learn things. The time and circumstances are the biggest teachers in life. Though we felt the squeeze and pressure of the situation but for that ,we happened to do what otherwise we might never had done it.
    My father was the first to get the heat of the situation, He was constantly  under pressure  when his dreams dashed down to ground as he was expecting that he will be able to generate sufficient income from land holdings.  It is always difficult for a person  who had remained out of touch for a period of 30 years, to work in different conditions and in Agriculture sector specially. Agriculture sector is most unpredictable in terms of production and activity. The unfortunate thing in this sector is failure of crop  due to rains, drought, thunder storm, disease . He felt that he had committed a blunder to have resigned at this crucial juncture. He felt guilty for forcing such crisis on the family members. It all reflected in his attitude and behavior while dealing with the day to day problems. The destiny played the trick .  It had to happen and it happened.
        I was also   surprised at this fact. I also learnt the basics of agriculture while watching others do it, and would ask about the problems and reason their tips.  I had a good interest in gardening earlier ,we had maintained a good kitchen garden at Agra and Bangalore where we lived for most of the years. So we had some hints at growing vegetables  , but it was in micro level. To grow crops in fields was a different issue. We mustered courage and went on straight to our mission. 

      Our land was  being used by our relatives we asked them to return to us so that we could start agricultural activity on it. However they refused to cooperate any way, as we were now becoming their rivals . The biggest problem that agriculturist faces is that of labor, the people who earlier worked with our relatives some how refused to work for us. May be under pressure or out of assumption that in case they will refuse to work we will be under pressure  and we will offer to pay handsomely. It is a matter of nature that  all you assume is not  all you get. They refused to work for us and some one who was not with our relatives stepped in, we got support from unexpected quarters. We started with our operations. 
        Soon we bought a tractor, though it was not a good deal either, as we got into a trap of an agent that he knows about a tractor which is  not presently working obviously because the owner is unable to use it due to financial crunch. My father was a technical man he discussed the matter with his friend who was once his colleague  in Indian Air Force. Initially he was not in favor of the deal, but may be father showed inability to arrange for more funds  to buy a good working model of the tractor. Father also got the tractor inspected by the mechanic , who gave the estimate for repair and overhauling  which was about Rs.16,000/-  ,This fund was too big in terms of the condition and  material. The deal was done and after about two days the tractor was ready  for joining our family  and we had pinned our hope that it will be a boon for us and we could find our way to prosperity.
 
      Now, our priority was  to  arrange for the Implements  and accessories   for the tractor , though we did get a few along with it but we had to spent another Rs.6000/- for these implements.  For a few days we had a good trials in the fields  , It was a wonderful machine with so much of power.  We were able to plough through the fields, we were happy  that at least we got a powerful companion to work in the fields and we will be able to compete our relatives and those who thought that we are their competitor . Our moral was high, we now took calculated risks, we started to grow crops as  other farmers.  We did get better out put from the land as now the crops fully owned by us would fetch us good earning. With  god’s blessing  we did manage to raise some savings  after paying off the debts of the fertilizers and some which we had borrowed in course.
     This was a moral booster we now had some dreams.  As in home we had build up some good resources in terms of milk surplus capacity. This milk was now being sold to others to supplement the needs of the cattle and keep them healthy. Mean time mother bought another buffalo and the milk production doubled. We channelized the extra milk to Govt. Milk collection center, I used to carry the milk daily to the other village which was about  5 kms away. Though I was studying in Matriculation at that time. But ,one has to do these things in order to support the family. The most dependable person is the family member himself. That way ,it made me proud  to be working for the assets  of the family, and contributing in the hour of need.
       That was a good time ,  we were  able to manage the things well , One day again the agent who had sold two buffalos to us came to my mother and pleaded that if you think  cow is holy animal, then kindly do a favor, mother was surprised  at the matter. She asked him to explain properly what is the matter.  He told one cow is to be sold to the butcher to be slaughtered as it has proved to be a liability  for the owner, he had cared and fed the cow for about three years but it did not bear any off springs, it seems it is useless and has sold it . He is not in position to keep it furthest, no other person is ready to purchase it,  I plead you please buy it . it will cost you nothing just Rs. 50/-  ,he said   we will take  care and get some treatment from veterinary doctor and I bet it will  soon be able to bear  offsprings, It will bring prosperity in your house.  It is a Jersey  cow,  These are very popular and  are in great demand.   My mother talked to my father,  He was also of the view  what will be the benefit   for keeping it, we are very busy already and it will add up to our liabilities,, But the sentiments were there as in India we consider the cow as pious.
     Next day the agent again turned up and virtually  begged  my mother for purchase the cow. Some how after some reluctance she agreed  . When I came from school I was asked to accompany the agent to the other village where the cow was  kept.  With in half and hour we were there , The owner was given Rs.50/- and we brought the cow home.   The cow was bit upset  ,it looked terrified  in the new surrounding and preferred to eat dry grass  than to eat green fodder.  We were puzzled , The agent came to see the cow , my mother asked him  “it is strange that it only eats dry fodder and does not like green fodder”. He explained that  the owner was a poor daily wager he could not afford to feed her properly ,that’s the problem with it , don’t worry we will manage it. He even brought some  sort of   weeds and medicines  which usually the rural people give to their cattle  to keep them healthy . Slowly the cow got confidence and  mingled with  the other cattle.  
       Just like that about more than one year passed  , The cow did not bear offspring  or never developed any sign of “Heat” , (a period when the menstrual cycle  is on the peak ,when the animal if ready to conceive ).  It was a matter of concern now, we got treatment from couple of vat nary doctors but of no avail..  Mother was worried as what to do with the cow.
       Mean time the graph chart of our finances got a severe blow.. The very next year we were tumbling down on every front,  The crops failed and we had a very hard time. That year the rains were unprecedented and unexpectedly in the time of harvest  of wheat in the month of  may. It was like a storm with  rain with  hail it just lay us bare , the crops were cut and  were ready to thrash .we had piles upwards the thrashing had just started , We were waiting for our turn for thrashing machine was busy else where. the delay in thrashing was  due non availability of thrasher and labor. The labor were engaged in cutting the standing crops, that is the priority at that moment.  We did not had the  mechanical thrasher of our own  then . We had booked  it and we were to get it only two days after.  Suddenly a big storm arrived up- rooting the bundles of  cut wheat  which were stacked  at one place.  Along with it came the torrential rain and  hail . The rain was so intense that it caused water logging in fields  , the rain  continued for about  one hour. This spelled the doom on the farmers in the area. Most of them who had cut the crops like us were humbled to earth.
     Next day a sort of rescue operation started , we engaged in collecting the scattered twigs from the lost harvest   with a hope to find if some thing is left by nature  for us.  It was difficult to bear the onslaught of the natures fury. We mustered some courage   and started to move the bundles of wheat crops  which were dripping with rain water. We then gathered the bundles   at a comparatively  high land  and lay them at some distance,  untied them  in order to spread it gently so that they get dry with sun heat.  Next day  the sun was shining bright, the earth some what had dried , so we again spread the bundles open  to dry them.  In the evening we had to tie them again. It took us about  five days  to  make the crop totally fit  for thrashing. In this process we lost about 75%grains. The 60%  grain  was damaged on the first hit of rain and hails ,rest we lost while spreading and gathering repeatedly. Most of the grains had sprouted and rest was lying in mud.
 This was  a herculean task, we had to do the thrashing even knowing the yield is just 20% left. It also proved very costly to us.
  Next came the season for growing paddy. It is the time the tractor becomes handy.  As we started preparing for the next sowing, we got a huge  blow, the tractor while working in fields  broke down  for two days we could not do any thing, and it had to be in the fields. We called up the mechanic ,who inspected the engine  and said it is a major break down the crank had been damaged. The sowing season was in full swing, we had to pull it out  from  the paddy fields .  The tractor was sent in workshop  it took about week for repair. Mean time the crops sowing was delayed, it cannot be managed with borrowed machinery.
  More worse situation was in store for us .There was no sign of rain ,though it was the rainy season. We had to press in diesel Pumping sets for maintaining the water level for growing paddy. The diesel became a scarce , the availability was a problem. We were made fools by the patrol pump owners. I was mostly deputed to arrange diesel for pumping sets. We had a drum keep near by and  were standing in queue. The whole day we had to run from one patrol pump to another as the rumors spread that a tanker arrived at the so and so patrol pump.  We needed some Recommendations from “influential persons” , often we had to purchase on  “premium” . It had become a routine exercise for me as without the diesel we could end-up miserable as the crop would have perished. So we had burnt up our pockets and drained our  sweat   for the sake of standing crops as these were our sole hopes .We were more frightened by the mounting bank loans and drained savings.

 
        Next worst thing happened , the Diesel engines used in the pumping set started giving problems one after the other.  One leg was at one site  the other was at the other site where  the other pumping set was working.  The circumstances are the biggest teachers the situation made us learn about repair work  of these engines, which other wise we were novice in the field , we worked  by hit and trial methods and we started using some local gimmicks ,also we made experiments to keep the engines running. Even when our all manpower  were busy  I and my brother was  working in fields to supplement the manpower. We need to see the water supply, arranging food and tea for the labourers .  The Electricity was a joke  at that time, it came only to show  that it exists, situation was not better than now a days ,the electric motors were not working most of the time. Mostly electric supply to Pumps were supplied at odd hours in night, we had to either sleep near the tube well or go there in dark.  Moving in night in dark places during rainy season  is very dangerous.  At times we would encounter snakes   or some scorpions.

     That was the most hard times we faced ,all our dreams, hopes and calculations faltered , We had a house hold servant form Bihar  he was with us for two years  and had a good relations with the daily wagers ,whom we engaged as and when required  and was conversant with the work in our house. He was very good and cooperative, unfortunately his mother expired he got a letter , we felt very sorry, we asked him if you want to go for a month you may go . He went to his native place  ,we gave him his due money  even some extra money ,he promised to return within a month  . This was  the most busiest  July month in agriculture sector. The paddy crops are to betaken care of . it require regular watering the fields.   I was now overloaded with the farm activity. in addition to the work of the servant , as alternative arrangements could not be made . I had to fetch fodder from the fields chop them and look after the cattle the strength of the cattle heads was about 5 including  2  young ones. So it was becoming very impossible for me to manage them. I was now forcing to sell the cow , which was useless  and was  now a burden. 
 I even called the agent who had bought the cow for us , to arrange for the customer.
        He again  starting pleaded  to my father ,let us wait for some more time , He said my heart says cow will conceive.   He was right, just about a month passed,  the cow behaved in uneasy way , it was making sounds  as if she was under some stress, We thought  it was having some problem of indigestion, we gave some mixture of salt and weeds, next day also the situation  did not improved , I took her to the vat nary hospital.  The doctor investigated and suggested that the animal is in heat and  insemination was done. As the luck would have it cow conceived. Later  after few months she gave birth  to a  female –calf. 
 
      The calf was very cute  and healthy. The cow now used to give about 14 liters milk in a day.  One day the calf was taken to hospital  to get its horns dismembered. In this process red hot iron bars are pressed over the spot where the horns start developing. The calf was only one months old.   Accidently,  the calf hit the effected area  with its hoof, as it was some what irritating, unfortunately  the wound opened  and bleeding started profusely. we had to take remedial measures and a bandage was tied to the calf’s head. We gave some sedative medicine to it as prescribed by vat nary  doctor. We were concerned  how to feed it, We took all precaution  so that bleeding does not start again. In night we thought to bring the calf in side the room where I was  sleeping since it was winter and the calf was required to be kept warm. I tied the calf to my bed, and kept eye on it. Just when it lay calmly  I  took a nap  may be for a hour or so, when I got up I was pained to see the blood oozing out of the calf’s head, The room was full of blood, I called my father , We both struggled to stop the bleeding  We tied more bandages   It was a pity, the calf lay motionless, , its eyes bulging out, .it made us feel guilty , as why did we tried to dismember the horns,  our family was disturbed  and we all started to pray to god. To forgive us . My mother felt restless and started to weep. It was a moving situation.  Though I was suffering from Asthma  but I still manage to do the necessary things  as it was a crucial time  and matter was of life and death.    Nothing happened we had lost all hope . we were disturbed and disappointed  ,we regretted to have got the dismembering of the  horns of the calf.  
        As the heavens desired ,at about 8.am , when we all were sitting out and doing the morning cores  giving fodder and water to rest of the cattle, the servant was cleaning the shed of cow dung  I was feeling the need of medicine due to squeezing effect of Asthma ,therefore I came in my room.   I took my medicine and  lay in my bed for relief from a bout of cough  .
      At first  I did not notice any unusual thing happening. After some time  I saw some movement in the ‘corpse’ of the calf which lay covered near my bed, as we were waiting for our servant to come and carry it out for disposal , I  was astonished to see the calf nodding its head  and was trying to stand up, out of the cover, but was unable to do so. Probably ,the calf was feeling severe weakness due to massive blood loss.   I  immediately removed the cover and saw the calf was alive . I jumped with joy and I caressed the calf. I loudly called my mother ,who rushed in  my room thinking I was having some problem, she also called up my father to rush in. As all stood astonished at the miracle . My Mother Thanked God for  giving new leash of life  to a innocent animal.  She  started praying  and was very happy, on the other hand the cow ,the mother of the calf had spent a restless night and was feeling very tense. She was not aware of what had transpired whole night. The cow was not able to eat any thing she was waiting for her child , who  was oscillating  between  of Death and Life.  We had felt the heat of Death  probably her heart was also apprehensive of any unusual activity, that’s why the calf was not seen any where.  To all my intuition she might be also praying for the life and safety of her child. It can be said that the prayer of a mother was  accepted and life was rein stilled by the God . The cow had bore the stigma of being unable to bear the off-springs.
   Any how her motherhood was saved. We took all care  of the calf , put some  bandage on the head of the calf and brought near the cow, she licked the calf for moment and felt the touch of the her child . I saw the numbness in her eyes and the excitement on seeing her calf alive. After feeding the calf  we tied it near the cow  and she was feeling the tension of separation. The cow then after some time felt the need of feed ,she started to eat  we got a tremendous relief .
     Within  few days we  saw the cow behaved normal and the calf was healthy and fine. The cow started to give about 12 liters of milk. Most of the milk was sold in the Milk collection centre ,generating some valuable income to support our studies and other family requirements. This was like a God’s gift to us.
     Gradually in six years she bore five  female calf’s and  these  calf’s when grew up for bearing their off-springs  we sold three young grown up calf’s cows when they were about three years old and got good rates. How ever we retained the very first calf and she too bore two female calf’s . The cow we originally brought for fifty rupees had repaid her debt . Rather had repaid many folds ,had done the best for contributing in our family assets and saving the family from worst conditions in the struggling times.  For our family she was a ‘Holy Cow’ or we may say “Gau Mata” The Cow had the right to live with us and we vowed to keep her all the life she had even after she became old. Obviously she was a ‘Holy Cow’. She ad helped us to raise the assets and generate earning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment